Tabs

Friday, January 7, 2011

Why You Should Be a Cheater

Awhile back I wrote a post about how Fridays are my cheat day. Cheat day. Choice day. Treat day. Whatever you want to call it, however you want to work it, you should have one.

Why?

Because if you try to restrict yourself so much without having any flexibility or enjoying yourself on occasion, you'll implode. For reals.

My suggestion is this:
-Eat "clean" six days of the week.
-Enjoy one "treat" during the week. Something small--a couple of Hershey's kisses or something. Not a huge binge.
-Enjoy a cheat meal or a cheat day. Likely, when you start this format, you'll binge like mad on your cheat day. Then you'll realize you don't feel so great after that and you'll dial it back to something more manageable.

Personally, I do take a cheat day on Fridays. This gives me to treat myself to some foods I don't eat on a regular basis. Today, for example, I had a snack that included 2 oz. of cheese, I ate some tortilla chips with lunch, I ate two pieces of pizza for dinner, and I'll have my popcorn tonight. So, not totally over the top, but enough that I feel like I'm treating myself.

I don't eat cheese and tortilla chips on a daily basis because they are some of my trigger foods--if I start eating them, I have trouble stopping unless I am exhibiting super human strength, which does happen sometimes. Sometimes I can, indeed, count out 14 tortilla chips, one serving, eat them, and stop. But a lot of the times I can't. I was pretty shocked that I sliced off my 2 oz. of cheese today and stopped instead of putting away the whole brick.

Progress.

Eating shouldn't be about deprivation. That will never work. I know you should never say never, but I feel pretty confident about this one.

So decide what works for you. How will you treat yourself and when?

Workout: Fire 55 EZ. I have to say, I was, once again, all psyched because I saw the EZ in the title and figured I might have an easy day. I did not. Tonight I plan to look in the manual and see why they felt they should call this EZ.

Food: Cheat day! Like I said, I enjoyed some cheese, some tortilla chips and some pizza. Tomorrow, back on the wagon!

5 comments:

  1. Today is my rest day, so I'm thinking about having a little treat tonight.

    Can you use your pull at Beach Body and make one of the challenge prizes the chance to meet Tony in person? Because I'm kind of in love with him. Don't worry, I've made Kevin 100% aware of my newfound crush. He thinks it's hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a cheat day and now I feel nasty. Here's the lowdown:
    Bfast: cereal with milk
    Lunch: cereal with milk (was so absolutely starved couldn't even make rational choices...I know better then to let myself get that hungry.)
    Snack: ice cream, pretzels, peanut butter (not altogether)
    Dinner: chicken quesadilla
    GROSS, GROSS, GROSS is how I feel. Going to bed.
    Oh and exercise...none it's rest day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's my info for Saturday...
    Workout-Core20 and Stretch 40
    Pre workout snack-kiwi and a little rice chex
    Breakfast-4 small gluten free banana pancakes with syrup
    Lunch-scrambled eggs with spinach and mushrooms, lemon yogurt, almond milk
    Snack-spinach artichoke dip and bread
    Dinner-Italian sausage with peppers and onions, zucchini salad, 1/4 cup of rice pudding
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Log for 1/8:

    I got my butt out of bed bright & early yesterday morning. It was cold & snowy. But still, I headed to the gym. To be honest with you, the only motivation I had for going yesterday was to let Arianna play in their play center as she doesn't get daily interaction with kids. So off we went...

    Exercise: Week 2, Day 2 (or was it 3? they're both the same!) of C25K training. It was a slow run for me, but I did it, & I didn't cheat. Not cheating is my goal each time.

    Food: I really thought I was making pretty good choices, but when entered into SparkPeople I went over my calorie count by about 400 calories. & according to my fitness tracker on there, I only burned just over 200 calories. (This is where my bodybugg would be so helpful, which I'm still waiting to be shipped BTW...grrrr!)

    But I digress.... on to food:

    Breakfast:

    Kashi Heart to Heart Honey Toasted Oat Cereal, 0.75 cup
    Cafe Mocha, Kcup, 1 serving

    Lunch:

    Romaine Lettuce (salad), 1 inner leaf
    Kroger Cow Pals Light, 1 serving (diced up for salad..was out of blue cheese)
    Ocean Spray, Craisins Original Sweetened Dried Cranberries 1/3 cup
    Kroger Pecan Chips, 0.1 cup
    Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 1 tbsp
    Balsamic Vinegar - Pompeian, 1 tbsp
    Apples, fresh, 1 cup, quartered or chopped

    Dinner:

    Taco pie (lean ground turkey, reduced fat crescents, reduced fat sour cream, low-fat shredded cheese, Tostitos tortilla chips - whole grain), 2 serving
    Red Wine, 1 fl oz

    Snack:

    Kroger Cow Pals Light, 1 serving

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1/9/11
    Fell off the wagon again today!
    Did great in the a.m., but...
    Bfast: 1 c. cereal, 2 morningstar veggie patties, 8 oz V8
    Snack: Kashi bar
    Lunch: 100 cal pack popcorn, 1/3 c dried blueberries
    Snack: ice cream again! But, now it's gone, which is a good thing
    Dinner: last two Taquitos
    EXERCISE: Yoga X...I did finish it, so I am proud of that, b/c I was so bored I wanted to cry.
    Tomorrow's a new day.

    ReplyDelete