Tabs

Sunday, January 16, 2011

The 15 Best Foods for Women

Have I waxed poetic about my love for Shape magazine? Yes? Here I go again.

I was browsing a past issue and came across a great article about the best foods to eat in each decade of your life.

I love stuff like that.

Here's a quick rundown...

In your 20s:
-Almonds (good crunch, great snack. High calories. Watch your portions.)
-Parmesan cheese (calcium--has way more than cheddar or Swiss, apparently)
-Apples (satisfies your sweet tooth, has great crunch, boosts your immune system)
-Lentils (as a lentil lover, I feel you should eat these in your 40s, too! Builds iron.)
-Shrimp (Yum)

In your 30s:
-Broccoli for radiant skin (trying to remember the last time I felt radiant. But then again, I despise broccoli. It's one of my dirty secrets.)
-Potatoes (great carbs that won't pack on the pounds)
-Spinach (nutrient dense, low cal)
-Dark chocolate (I'm a convert from milk chocolate. A zillion great reasons to eat it. Go for at least 70% cacao.)
-Eggs (One of my faves. Great nutrients, low cal. Love 'em.)

In your 40s:
-Mushrooms (Cook for best nutrition, great cancer fighter.)
-Sardines (Don't know if I've ever eaten one! Heart healthy Omega 3s.)
-Avocados (I have to be careful not to buy too many at once...because I'll want to eat too many at once. Great healthy fat. My splurge instead of cheese.)
-Bell peppers (Great for your eyes--rich in lutein, zeazanthin and vitamin C.)
-Whole grain pasta (I have had to switch to gluten free, but if you eat gluten, go for whole wheat over refined flour pastas for more stable blood sugar.)

Today's workout:
Fire 45, Stretch 10. Did some high impact leaping. Discovered, much to my surprise, that I am not even remotely gazelle-like.

Food
Breakfast: Shakeology, almond milk

Lunch: 6 inch Subway sandwich. You can really eat low cal at Subway, just like on Biggest Loser. No, they don't have gluten free options, but life isn't perfect. I shared a 12 inch with Finn. We had ham and that was about all that was similar. I loaded mine with veggies, no cheese, a little mayo. His contained ham, bacon, cheese and mayo. We will be Roto Rootering his arteries when he's 10. No chips, water to drink.

Snack: One chocolate chip cookie

Dinner: 5.5 oz. pork chop, basmati rice, roasted butternut squash.

Then I ate a few dark chocolate chips. You know, because of the article points above, of course.

Total calories: Prior to the chocolate chips...1369. Very pleased.

Total calories burned: 2120.

Keep up the good work, everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Good job today, Nat!
    workout-Fire 55 EZ
    snack-banana and PB
    breakfast-museli and yogurt
    snack-turkey and cheese slices
    lunch-turkey/ham roll up, bowl of salad and kiwi
    dinner-sloppy joe without the bun, french fries, salad
    See you tomorrow!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete