Tabs

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Today Was That Day

So remember how yesterday I was saying your body will tell you when you can/can't workout? I got the message loud and clear this morning and I didn't workout.

Bummer.

Ah, well. Tomorrow is another day. I have moved my workout to tomorrow afternoon in WOWY and I'm hoping my sinuses and lungs clear enough so that I can get through a workout. It's a short one, but intense: HIIT 20. Eeeek.

We'll see. If I have to push it another day, I will.

Food again today was hot things: hot rice ceral for breakfast, soup and crackers for lunch, a small amount of chicken stir fry for dinner. And oceans of hot tea and honey. I have spent most of the day running to the bathroom. I'd better be flushing this virus right down the toilet.

I really like these free magazine that you can pick up at "healthy" grocery stores. I don't know of Whole Foods has them, but Vitamin Cottage does, and I always grab them when I'm there. One publication is called "Better Nutrition." The other I usually see there is "Delicious Living." Both of them have all sorts of good info about natural living.

Today I was reading an article about boosting your immune system (oh, the irony!). The whole article is interesting and I'll cover some of the other content later, but one particular paragraph caught my eye. This article talks about how we should know our blood type because our blood type indicates what we should/shouldn't do to improve our immune system.

Type O blood (me): Should avoid wheat products before and throughout the winter season due to unfavorable immune response. So curious since I have found myself healthier now that I avoid gluten.

Type A: Don't eat anything from cows--milk, cheese, ice cream, beef, etc.

Type B: Avoid corn and chicken.

Type AB: Eat a bit like both the As and Bs.

I find this very interesting. Is it for real? Who knows. But it's one of those things that makes sense to me and that's what I try to go by.

One other thing from this article, and it dovetails with what the natural allergist in Frisco who has been working with Declan said, "Vulnerability to colds can also be addressed by contrast hydrotherapy. A hot shower or bath in the morning leaves pores wide open and exposes us to germs. Doctors suggest doing a final rinse with cold water, making sure to slosh it under the armpits and in the groin area for 60 seconds to stimulate lymph node drainage."

Again, very intersting. And yet the thought of sloshing myself with cold water after my nice warm shower strikes fear in my heart.

I did to hydrotherapy to myself last night in the form of the wet socks treatment. I thought the results were mixed. It calmed my cough and seemed to shrink my nasal passages, but not for the whole night in terms of the nose. I was a little surprised by this because when I do the wet socks to the boys, it literally knocks them out, stops their coughs and they breathe well and sleep through the night. So I'm not sure what gives for me. I'm going to try again tonight. I will say that it's not the most comfortable thing in the world to put on cold, wet cotton socks and then cover them with dry wool socks--at first. Then you get a warm sensation. At one point in the night, my immune system definitely kicked into gear and I heated way up. I may have even spiked a fever--a sure sign of the body trying to fight something.

So, I will do it again. Because if I'm going to subject my kids to it, I should be willing to do it myself. Right?

4 comments:

  1. Hi Nat...hope you feel better tomorrow!
    Workout-HIIT 20, Ab Ripper X and Stretch 10
    breakfast-egg and sausage casserole, banana
    snack-kiwi, multi grain tortilla chips
    lunch-tomato soup with spinach and basil, part of a meatball
    snack-pear, peanut butter and chocolate almond milk
    dinner-chicken stir fry with black rice and bok choy (I've recently become a big fan of bok choy)
    I'm off to bed now, since I'm starting to feel yucky too!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1/11/11
    EXERCISE: Kenpo
    Bfast: 1 c. cereal, 1/2 banana with 1 TBSP almond butter
    Snack: Zone bar
    Lunch: Four shrimp, 10 pistachios, one chocolate chip cookie
    Snack: pretzels, soy snack mix
    Dinner: spaghetti, salad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nat,
    There was no new post for today, so I'm putting this in yesterday's comment section...hope that's ok.
    Wednesdays's info-
    no workout-rest day...yea!
    breakfast-raisin bran, banana and a grapefruit
    snack-cheese stick, whole grain tortilla chips
    lunch-baked potato with salsa and cottage cheese, apple and pear
    snack-trail mix, yogurt mixed with cottage cheese (sounds gross, but it's actually really good)
    dinner-green pepper chicken (great crock pot recipe!), brown rice and pineapple, 2 thin mint type cookies
    Hope you feel better and get the right oven turned on tomorrow...ha, ha!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1/12/11
    Exercise: Stretch X
    Bfast: 1 c. cereal
    Snack: bagel thin with 2 TBSP almond butter
    Snack #2: 1/3 c. soy energy mix
    Lunch: 24 sweet potato fries (baked, not fried)
    Snack: yogurt, 8 oz veggie juice
    Dinner: very large bowl of cereal
    What a gross day, don't know why, but I had serious carb cravings! And, husband out of town, so didn't eat real dinner.
    Total cals: 1560

    ReplyDelete