Tabs

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

When Do You Workout?

I know I've talked about how I get up in the morning and exercise at about 6am every morning.

Except this morning, but that's another story.

Anyway, once I read an article about when is the best time to workout. Overall, the article was saying that the best time to workout is whenever it works for you to make it a habit.

For me, that's first thing in the morning, otherwise I get going on other stuff and forget or run out of time.

But there is an actual best time of day for your body. It's between 4 - 8pm.

I'm telling you, that time would never work for me.

Today, I worked out at 5:30pm. This is a totally rare occurrence. I was exhausted this morning, so I didn't get up in time. This happens a lot when I get down to the last day or so before my rest day, which is tomorrow.

I went to a meeting and then Tara and I took three runs down the mountain. I did not fall and slide down on my back. Progress.

But I didn't want to skip my TurboFire workout. Because I couldn't stand the thought of coming on here and telling you I didn't do it.

So after my two hour conference call from 3 - 5pm, I ran downstairs and did my workout. And here's what I noticed--aside the fact that my knees were sore from skiing, I could do more moves high impact and felt more flexible when I got to the stretching part. It makes sense, of course. My bod had all day to warm up versus when I stagger down there at 6am every morning.

But I'm going to keep on with my 6am workouts because that time just works for me AND I like it that I get that metabolic boost first thing in the morning and gets me going for the whole day.

Never mind that my knees are creaking like rusty hinges.

Workouts: Skiing, HIIT 20, Stretch 10 (Surprisingly, I may not hit my calorie burn goal today, which stems from the fact that I sat nearly 4 hours of meetings today). Ugh.

Food
Breakfast
Chocolate Shakeology, almond milk

Snack
Cocoa cassava bar

Lunch
Mary's Gone Crackers flax crackers, salad w/spinach, arugula, tomato, cukes, olives, cheese (!), avocado, olive oil, lemon juice, Braggs. 1 oz. dark chocolate.

Dinner
Tortellini, sauce, parmesan cheese, garlic bread

Yikes! My calculation just said 1965 calories. That seems high, but who am I to say. I'm just at 1800 for a burn with 4 hours to go so I'll have a deficit, but not a big one. Rats.

Watching the State of the Union. This repeated jumping out of their seats to clap is annoying, but it's probably getting their heart rates up and burning calories, so I should probably do that, too.

Or not.

2 comments:

  1. I got up late today too and had to cut my workout short. I was supposed to do a cardio and Sculpt 30, but didn't make it to the Sculpt part. That's ok though, because I did make it to the dermatologist and he sculpted a total of SEVEN mole-y type things off of me. I think I lost weight just by my visit to him.
    snack-banana
    workout-Fire 30
    breakfast-instant oatmeal, walnuts, berries, chia seeds and soy milk
    snack-cheese stick
    lunch-turkey roll ups, 3 pieces of Marie's candy (the second one wasn't what I was expecting, so I felt compelled to go on and eat another to make up for it)
    snack-carrots and humus (hummus? which is it?), Wheat Thins
    dinner-leftover orange chicken and rice, salad, pear
    snack-a few Cheezits, small bowl of Multigrain Cheerios with coconut milk
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so funny about working out later in the day...the same thing happened to me on Monday. I was supposed to do Core Synergistics at 5:30 a.m. and just couldn't face it. So, ended up doing during naptime at 3:30 and I had crazy energy and was so much looser! However, I'm sticking with mornings, b/c I love having it done before the day has really even started.

    1/24/11
    Core Synergistics
    bfast: 1 c. cereal
    Snack: banana with pb
    lunch: small piece leftover cheese pizza, cookie
    Snack: apple
    Dinner: grilled chicken salad with salsa, sm amount cheddar

    1/25/11
    P90X Legs/Back
    Today was a weird day. Allie has a stomach bug and I thought I was getting it too, so I only ate bland, carby things all day
    Bfast: 1 c. cereal
    Snack: bagel thin
    Lunch: 10 plain pita crackers
    Dinner: dry baked potato

    So far, I have no stomach issues, keep your fingers crossed for me!

    ReplyDelete