Tabs

Monday, January 3, 2011

This is it! The Challenge is HERE!

OK, boys and girls. 2011 is upon us. No excuses. Step away from the Christmas cookies. This is where the rubber meets the road. It's time for our Healthy Habits Challenge! I, for one, need it. I had to let my belt out a notch yesterday. Ewwww.

Challenge Dates: Monday, January 3 – Saturday, January 29

By the way, remember how I said I was going to set up a Facebook page for us to use? Well, because I am apparently a technical ding dong, I have been working on that and it’s not actually working. I don’t know what the deal is. I’ll keep working on it and when I get it up and running, I’ll let you know. Until then, if you are taking part, post your accountability in the comments section for this blog…

The Details/Rules/Requirements--whatever:
-You will follow some sort of fitness plan. If you are doing a BeachBody program that has you on 5 or 6 workouts a week, you do that. You are welcome to design your own program to walk or run or whatever, but you have to do it for at least 30 minutes, 5 days a week.

-To be eligible for prizes, you can post in the comments section here, or eventually on the Facebook page, your daily accountability--the workout you did, what you ate. It can be very simple and might look like this:

Workout: 30 minute walk

Breakfast: oatmeal, milk
Snack: banana and peanut butter
Lunch: tuna, greens, tomato, cucumber
Snack: apple, cashews
Dinner: Salmon, sweet potato, green beans

That’s it. So easy.

-You don't have to track your calories, but I highly recommend you do so. It's very enlightening! There are a zillion choices of sites to track your calories. My Fitness Pal is one such choice. It’s free. I used that one before I got a BodyBugg. I also suggest weighing and measuring your food to help with portion control. I still do it…

-You have a 3-day window in which to log your workouts and food. That way, if you’re out of town--say at a hockey tournament--and don’t have an Internet connection, you can remain eligible for the prizes. So, today’s Monday. You have until Thursday to report in on your food and workouts for today.

-We're on the honor system.

Prizes:
And now on to the good stuff. Those who fulfill the requirements of adhering to their exercise plan and posting their info each day for the next four weeks per the rules above will go into a drawing for:

1st prize (one winner)
Your choice of one of the following intro level BeachBody programs:
-Slim in 6
-TurboJam or TurboJam Fat Burning Elite
-Brazil Butt Lift
-Hip Hop Abs
-Yoga Booty Ballet
-Power 90 or Power 90 Masters Series

OR, if you’re already doing one of the more intense programs, like P90X, Turbo Fire or Insanity, I’ll offer up the “plus” DVDs to complete your set.

2nd prize (one winner)
Your choice of one of the following BeachBody fitness tools:
-A set of resistance bands
-A set of weighted gloves
-A set of ankle weights
-A balance ball
-A set of yoga blocks
-A set of sculpting bands
-A set of push up stands
-A yoga mat

3rd prize (two winners)
-One chocolate and one greenberry Shakeology sample and a Shakeology mixer cup. Yum!

Note: This all might be a little ambitious. I think there might only be two people doing it. Ah, well, good odds for you, yes?

Some important points (at least to me):
-This isn’t a weight loss challenge. This is about establishing some great new habits for the New Year. If you can make a change for six weeks, it becomes a habit (I swear, I didn’t make that up, I read it somewhere, which means it’s true).

-Even though it isn’t about weight loss, I think you will see changes. To that end, I encourage you to weigh yourself and take your measurements today or tomorrow so you have something to benchmark against. I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised.

-I will make every attempt to post every day during the challenge, answer any questions or comments, and post my own daily accountability and weekly goals. I’m also doing another challenge with some local friends that involves cash—yikes! As in, if I don’t make my goals, I lose my money to the kitty. If I do make my goals, I share in the kitty. Motivation, to be sure. New shoes could be at stake here.

-I’ll be posting some tips and suggestions here, there and everywhere.

As for today, my accountability is:
I started a new program, TurboFire, with two workouts called Fire 30 and Stretch 10. I’m feelin’ it.

Food
Breakfast: two eggs, 1 piece gluten free bread, 1 orange = 331.9 calories
Snack: apple, 1/4 cup cashews = 229.5 calories
Lunch: salad that was made up of two cups greens, one Roma tomato, 1/2 cup cucumber, 1 tbl. low fat feta cheese, 5 kalamata olives, 1 tbl. red onion, 1 tbl. olive oil, lemon juice, oregano, 1 tin anchovies (I know, gross, but I love them), 1/2 cup fake crabmeat (gross, but I love that, too) = 397.6 calories
Snack: Chocolate Shakeology, 1 cup almond milk = 200 calories
Dinner: 1 cup green beans (canned. Why do I love canned green beans? Beats me.), 1.5 cups homemade tuna casserole (I’m sort of guessing on the total since it’s homemade) = 550.6 calories.

Total calories for the day: 1709.6 (per BodyBugg’s calorie tracking)
Total calories burned as of 8:02pm MST: 1884 (I should hit my 500 calorie deficit goal)

Questions, comments, concerns? You can post in the comments section or e-mail me at nrooney@centurytel.net.

OK, let’s do this…no excuses.

15 comments:

  1. Hmmm.... okay, I'm in, too ~ although going from zero exercise to 5x/week is questionable.

    Breakfast: Lowfat cottage cheese, mandarin oranges
    Lunch: BLT cobb salad
    Dinner: Vegetable soup, saltine crackers
    Snack: Canned peaches, fresh cherries

    Total calories: 1481

    Exercise: Nada

    ReplyDelete
  2. Question... what's the "scoop" on Shakeology? Do you *have* to do the monthly auto-ship or can you just buy it outright, in the quantity you desire? I would love to try it, but do NOT want to get into an auto-ship program.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, I'm in! I'll post what I did yesterday at naptime today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Monday, 1/3/11
    Bfast: 1 cup cereal, 1/4 c dried blueberries, 1/2 c cottage cheese
    Lunch: veggie burger on bagel thin with cheese, 8oz V8
    Snack: 10 pita chips
    Dinner: Grilled Chicken salad at Bravo, one piece bread dipped numerous times in olive oil
    TOTAL CAL: 1065 before Bravo, not sure how many cals that was
    EXERCISE: P90X plyo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, the dates are confusing me. Jan 11 isn't a Monday, and if you end on Jan 29, that's only 3 weeks. So were we really starting yesterday, Jan 3?

    ReplyDelete
  6. If anyone is reading Jean's comment--WHOOPS! I have no idea why I typed Jan. 11. The start date is Monday, Jan. 3! But all is not lost if you didn't technically "start" yesterday. Go back, write down in the comments what you ate before Thursday. If you didn't workout yesterday, no worries. Count that as a rest day. You just have to have a minimum of 5 30 min. sessions a week. Sorry for the confusion!

    Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm in! Here's my info for Monday...
    Turbofire EZ 45
    Breakfast-1 bowl of baked oatmeal, 1 box of coconut water, 1 banana
    Snack-1 piece of provolone cheese and 2 slices of deli turkey
    Lunch-1 bowl of Italian sausage soup, 1 apple, and 1 piece of dark chocolate
    Snack-1 spoon of peanut butter and 1 glass of almond milk
    Dinner-1 1/2 helpings of chili verde, refried beans, spanish rice and a corn tortilla

    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tuesday, 1/4/11
    Bfast: 1/2 c cereal, banana with 1 Tbsp peanut butter
    Snack: 1/3 c soy energy mix
    Lunch: gardenburger with cheese on bagel thin
    Snack: Zone bar, diet hot chocolate
    Dinner: asparagus, 10 pita chips with buffalo chicken dip
    TOTAL CAL: 1555
    Exercise: P90X Arms/Shoulders

    ReplyDelete
  9. Breakfast - banana
    Lunch - small cheese quesadilla, cup of refried beans
    Snack - 5 peppermint patties
    Dinner - chix in mushroom soup, rice, veggies
    Snack - oatmeal raisin cookie - 3 snack candy bars.

    Exercise - Spring Cleaned Oona's bedroom. Yelled at bedtime and made 5 trips upstairs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Here's my info for today...not as good as yesterday, since I ate nervously while watching to see if OSU would really be able to hold on for the win against Arkansas!
    No workout today (had to change my rest day from tomorrow to today)
    Breakfast-bowl of Go Lean Crunch with almond milk
    Snack-Cliff Kids Z bar
    Lunch-2 turkey roll ups on corn tortillas with spinach, basil and alfalfa sprouts, handful of sesame chips and a pear
    Snack-banana and peanut butter
    Dinner-4-5 (maybe 6) small pieces of pizza, spinach dip and chips, cheese and crackers, 2 cups of soda and 2 gluten free brownies

    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  11. Monday:

    Exercise: Just Dance 2 on the Wii for 45 mins (SO FUN!)

    Food:
    Breakfast: 1-1/2 c. rice milk w/1 T rice protein powder & 1 T cocoa
    Lunch: salad w/ romaine, tomato, red pepper, carrot, & broccoli - red wine vinegar & olive oil for dressing
    Snack: Peanut Butter Choc Chip Larabar (YUM)
    Dinner: scalloped potatoes & ham
    Snack: 1/2 red pepper

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thursday's info:
    Turbofire EZ 45 (which wasn't so easy)
    Breakfast-rice chex cereal, half a banana and almond milk
    Lunch-tomato soup, apple and peanut butter
    Snack-walnuts and a little bit of that sinful rice pudding
    Dinner-mexican pasta bake and salad
    Snack-1 square dark chocolate and a box of coconut water
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hope you're loving TurboFire, Nat...I am! Today I did HIIT 15 and Sculpt 30 (or maybe it was Tone 30).
    Pre workout snack-kiwi
    Breakfast-scrambled eggs and half a wheat bagel
    Lunch-tomato soup and 2 corn tortillas with peanut butter, honey and banana, half a pear
    Snack-chocolate almond milk and about 10 whole grain tortilla chips
    Dinner-5 potstickers and a bowl of salad
    Snack-a big bowl of popcorn and a small handful of chocolate chips (like Grandma...a little something salty, a little something sweet!)
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello! Here's my info for Sunday...
    workout-turbofire EZ 55
    breakfast-green chile egg fritatta
    snack-banana and box of coconut water
    lunch-small bowl of spaghetti, almond milk, kiwi
    snack-Mrs. Maya's nut bar
    dinner-grilled chicken cesar salad
    snack-popcorn (while we watched "Despicable Me"...so funny!)
    See you tomorrow!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete