Tabs

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Pancake Day

I was elated when I was reminded that today is Fat Tuesday. Nevermind that we are not Catholic. Well, Eamonn is, but he describes himself as a recovering Catholic. So I asked him if they ate pancakes on this day when he was growing up and still a Catholic. He said, "Of course!" He didn't know today by Fat Tuesday.

"Well," I asked, "Did you call it Shrove Tuesday?"

"Yes, it's Shrove Tuesday, but we just called it Pancake Day."

That's about all of the encouragement I needed to declare "Pancakes for dinner!" I ignored the fact that we had also eaten pancakes LAST Tuesday in honor of National Pancake Day. Next year they should probably combine Fat Tuesday and National Pancake Day.

Just my two cents. You know, if anyone from the Vatican or the national holiday society is looking for advice.

When I weighed this morning, I was happy to discover that I was down 1.6 lbs. from last week. The scale continues to move.

But perhaps I will have a rebound effect because yes, I did eat pancakes. How can you not eat pancakes today?

Two-a-days continue and I'm pleased with how I'm feeling. I've hit 2400 calories burned consistently as well. I may not get there today, but I have been sitting and working a lot today.

Tomorrow is a rest day and I am feeling happy about that.

As a side note for today, Anne and I had an e-mail conversation about contests and diets, etc. Here's something important to know: The way I eat and structure these challenges--this is what has worked for me and for other people on my BeachBody forums. BUT, that doesn't mean it's right for everyone. Anne is tweaking things and working to find what is right for her and that's really good and really important. There are plenty of ways people eat or structure their workouts that don't work for me. Take the ideas and mold them into what gets you into the groove.

When I really committed to getting fit two years ago, it still took me time to settle in. First I had to develop a routine that worked. It comes and goes at times, but I'd say this is the area where I feel really solid.

Next, I had to get the eating part down. I tried lots of different ways of eating: planned menus per different websites, vegan, higher protein, etc. To me, it's fun to experiment in this way. Ultimately, what I found out is that I need to eat the foods I like, just in a controlled way. I finally mastered portion control--my lifetime nemesis! Deprivation will never work for me. My eating 6 days clean (perhaps not on Fat Tuesday) and one day wild card works for me. I don't feel deprived at all. I like how I feel when I eat this way. Plus, as silly as it sounds, until someone tells me that I have to stop eating popcorn or else I'll die, I have to have it. Have to. Whatever your "Have To" is, make it a part of your plan.

Finally, I had to learn to pay attention to my body and that has been a very interesting process. After a lifetime, I feel like I can finally stop when I'm satisfied, before I'm full. I had to train my brain. If I crave something, I eat it and then factor it in. I've mentioned that for the most part, I don't eat cheese. For whatever reason, today I was craving cheese (salty, fatty protein) so badly. So I ate one ounce of cheese and I was happy.

Keep it simple.

Today
Workout 1: Fire 45 (I was also supposed to do Stretch 10, but forgot!)
Workout 2: 20 minutes on elliptical

Breakfast: Chocolate Shakeology, almond milk
Snack: Apple, Brazil nuts
Lunch: Banana, almond butter
Snack: Chocolate Shakeology, almond milk, cheese
Dinner: Pancakes, maple syrup, strawberries YUM!

I am full. I am Fat on Tuesday.

Total calories: 1643 (although I just realized I didn't put the strawberries in there, so it's higher)

2 comments:

  1. We had pancakes in honor of Fat Tuesday, too...unfortunately, ours ended up being with 1/2 ww flour (which I usually like, but not for pancakes, you gotta have white) and applesauce instead of vegetable oil. Probably should have checked to make sure I had all ingredients before starting. They were just OK, and didn't sit in my belly like a lardy block of nastiness, which was a bonus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Natalie, Kevin and I are pretty much finished with p90x and now I'm ready for something new...any ideas? I really liked p90x, but something a little less time-intensive might be good. AND it needs to make me look like I did when I was 16, OK? Oh wait, I was sort of dorky when I was 16 and hadn't discovered eye-brow waxing yet...maybe 26, let's go with that.

    But, I can't do anything super high-impact b/c my knee is messed up. I think I should probably go to the doctor, but I keep putting it off.

    ReplyDelete