Tabs

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Calorie Cycling

Today I will hit my 2,400 calorie burn goal and I'm totally excited about it. So there. Even though the frozen Indian dinner I ate had white rice in it which is all the way down in the Swiss tier, I'm calling this day a success.

I was going to write something witty and relevant...and I can't remember what it was...I probably have calorie deprivation brain fog. Just kidding. I think.

Anyway, even though I'm hitting the workouts twice a day to really ramp up my calorie deficit for awhile, you can't do that indefinitely. Have I written about calorie cycling before? Yes? No? Don't remember? Me either.

Calorie cycling is eating a different amount of calories every day, but staying in range for the week or month. Calorie cycling is a theory and method that helps to lose, maintain, or gain weight by eating a different amount of calories each day. The theory is that it keeps your metabolism guessing.

There are a bazillion different theories on whether you should eat the same amount of calories every day or change the total up, keeping in an overall total for the week. I tend to be in the latter category. Even though I generally shoot for 1700 calories (trying to dial that back a bit for the weight loss challenge--unsuccessful so far. Going to have to omit chocolate--wah!), there are days I go a little over and days I try to go under because it's a rest day.

A few things you definitely need to do: You really shouldn't go under 1200 calories a day. Your body needs a certain amount just to function and from what I read, you'll send your metabolism into a nosedive if you "starve" it with too few calories. Your body is no fool. Cut back drastically on your calories and your body is going to conserve.

Remember the low/no fat craze of the 90s? I talked momentarily about it yesterday when I mentioned Snackwells and how everyone loved fat free cookies and binged on them. Well, some people did. Ahem.

Anyway, think about percentages (most calorie counting sites tell you what your carb/protein/fat percentage is--so easy) and keep your fat intake realistic. My BodyBugg calculations have me at about a 55% carb/20% protein/25% fat. I never get those percentages dead on, but mostly I come pretty close.

My point is figure out what you should eat for the week and shoot for that overall total. You might be a little high one day, a little low another, but it all comes out in the wash.

Today's workouts:
Workout 1: Fire 45, Stretch 10; Workout 2: 50 min. walk

Breakfast: Chocolate Shakeology, almond milk
Snack: apple, Brazil nuts
Lunch: Salad w/Romaine, tuna, radishes, celery, tomato, olives, olive oil; one square dark chocolate
Snack: Greek yogurt, banana
Dinner: Amy's Indian entree, two apple slices (leftover)

Total calories eaten: 1609
Total calories burned: 2287 with 3 hours to go. I think I'll just make it!

So realizing how much I have to do to burn 2400 calories a day is sobering. It's a lot of work. But I'm going to keep on, keepin' on to get to my goal.

Hope you had a great day.

3 comments:

  1. Here's my info for Mon and Tues...
    Monday:
    protein shake
    banana
    nuts
    veggie juice
    veggie burger on sandwich thin with cheese and veggies
    blueberries
    edamame
    Healthy Choice veggie potstickers
    exercise: P90x legs/back

    Tuesday:
    1 c. cereal
    nuts
    luna bar
    strawberries
    veggie juice -- 8 oz.
    peanut butter on sandwich thin
    1 oz dark chocolate
    subway turkey and pepper jack cheese on flatbread
    exercise: REST

    Both days I've come in at about 1350 cals. I'm trying to stay below 1400/day. My goal is to lose 5 lbs by the end of the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tuesday info (I think I posted Monday's on your Sunday post)
    snack-kiwi
    workout-Fire 45
    breakfast-BLT and egg sandwich (I acutally left off the bacon and used deli turkey instead...a huge sacrifice for me!)
    snack-crackers and humus
    lunch-homemade veggie sushi with smoked salmon, grapes
    snack-carrots and hummus
    dinner-leftover beef stew, clementine
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  3. What qualifies as quality dark chocolate? Does Lindt 70% cocoa count? They were on sale, so I hope so...I can't afford the ones that are $3-4 each!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete