Tabs

Friday, June 1, 2012

Ultimate Reset: Day Three -- A Little Sore

So today was Day 3 of the Ultimate Reset. I'm going to do a little experiment. I finished eating dinner at about 7:30pm MST (kind of late, but I made the boys' dinner first and then I had to make the Japanese "feast" that is dinner from Week 1, Day 3), and I am STUFFED! I'm curious to see at what point, if any, that I'm either hungry again or back to a normal feeling. How fast will I burn through that dinner? I'll update...

What I'm noticing today:
I've upped my water intake, so I feel very hydrated and my mild headache is gone. However, I had a wicked back backache earlier today. That seems better this evening, but I was seriously sore -- like I'd done a workout sore -- this afternoon.

I didn't need the snack this afternoon, but that might have been because I ate a later lunch. I did wake up hungry, but didn't eat breakfast until after 9am because of a series of events (that weren't unfortunate, just delayed my breakfast).

I took a 20 minute walk this morning and that felt really good. Nothing at all strenuous, no climbs or anything, just the flat path around the neighborhood, but it felt nice to stretch my legs. I don't think I even broke a sweat.

I was a little crabby around dinnertime, when I was making the boys' dinner so maybe a little blood sugar dip?

I had to make cookies for someone as a thank you gift. I did not eat one bite of dough. Unheard of. In fact, I wasn't even tempted to take a bite. Indeed, one of the things I suddenly realized is that I haven't craved anything sweet for the past three days. Wild, considering last week at this exact time I was on about my 3rd s'more.


And here are some tips I was thinking about today. Things that were vexing me before I started and now I wonder why the heck I was so worried:

Don't be afraid to substitute stuff. Some of the foods can be hard to find, especially if you live in a small town and the nearest Whole Foods is 2+ hours away (like me). For example, I couldn't find tempeh, which was disappointing because I wanted to try it. Not only is it one of the ingredients in the nori rolls, but you also eat it for breakfast one day, as well. But then when I was looking at the Ultimate Reset support group pages, people were saying you can substitute any meals that you need to (with some exceptions). So I could have put oatmeal in as a replacement for the tempeh breakfast, or had the rice and beans instead of the nori rolls. In the end, I stumbled upon some tempeh (the nori rolls are really good so I'm glad I found it!) so it wasn't an issue, but don't be hung up on not having an ingredient. Another example: I couldn't find mirin -- Japanese cooking wine -- so I used white wine vinegar instead.

Venture out of your comfort zone. A lot of the foods on the cleanse are things I already had in my fridge or pantry (with the exception of the tempeh!) because I eat a lot of these foods regularly. I know you THINK you might not like wakame (a sea vegetable) or nori (the toasted seaweed sheets sushi is rolled up in), but give it a whirl. Expand your palate a little bit and experiment. You might not like it the first time -- think about teaching your kids to try new foods! Sometimes it takes a few times, right? Also, let's face it: many of our palates are numbed from all of the artificially flavored, processed foods we've eaten over the years, and we don't even know what real food tastes like. So, I encourage you to at least try some new things, and keep an open mind. Truly, the first time I ate oat or buckwheat groats I thought they were nasty. Now they're two of my breakfast staples.

Cook ahead. I know I said this yesterday. Or maybe the day before. But it's really key if you're busy -- like who isn't? Cook up a big batch of brown rice, lentils and quinoa so you don't have to cook when you're assembling salads (the Lentil Lime Salad is CRAZY good, people!). Tomorrow I'm out and about all day so when I made my nori roll for dinner tonight, I went ahead and made two so I had tomorrow's ready to go. Same with the Lentil Lime Salad -- doubled the recipe today so it's ready for tomorrow. Maximize your time and minimize your cleanup!

And thinking back to yesterday and how I needed to add the snack and even a little extra food on top of that, don't sweat it. Very important: This isn't a starvation diet. If you're hungry, eat something! Within the parameters of the cleanse of course. Not potato chips. Or crackers even. Look at the suggested snacks and eat!

Let me know if you have any questions! If you're NOT doing the Ultimate Reset, but would like more info, you can read about it here or send me a question!

And now, here's an update on my "fullness:" An hour later, and I no longer feel full. My metbolism is really chewing on the cucumber salad, miso soup (lots of seaweed in those two!), and the nori roll.

No comments:

Post a Comment