Tabs

Monday, November 22, 2010

The Scoop on the BodyBugg

I have owned a BodyBugg since September 2009. I'm going out on a limb here, but the BB pretty much changed how I look at weight loss.

When I first started BeachBody workouts, I had early great success. And then I sort of stagnated and I couldn't lose anything. I worked out, I ate well, and yet every Friday when I weighed in, I hadn't lost the pound I thought should be coming off. So I'd be mad/annoyed/discouraged and I'd eat a bunch of food and I'd get in a terrible cycle of eating and not losing.

I was convinced I had a metabolic disorder to go with my muscle wasting disease (see yesterday). I told Eamonn I needed to go to the doctor to learn more about my metabolic disease that wouldn't allow me to lose weight.

Then I read about the BodyBugg. Apparently the Biggest Loser contestants have been wearing them for ages, but I was just out of the loop.

I read about the BB on Chalene Johnson's blog. She, of course, is my favorite BeachBody trainer, so if she says something, I believe it, people.

Chalene did a review of the BodyBugg. You can read it here. I ordered mine right away. Read her review, because it's really good, but here's the lowdown.

The BB is an armband you wear on your upper arm and it tracks, with 90% accuracy according to the company, how many calories you burn each day. The BB tracks from midnight to midnight and if you get the watch/wristband display, you can see at any given moment, how many calories you're burning. As I sit here right now, I'm burning 1.7 calories a minute. I burn about .9 calories a minute while I'm sleeping. Depending on what workout I do, that might jump up to 7 or 8 or 9 calories a minute.

It doesn't track what you eat. You have to do that yourself! You log into your BB account and track your food. It's really easy.

A pound of fat = 3,500 calories. So, create a 500 calorie deficit each day for a week and one pound is gone. Magic. Well, magic and some work.

In the end, I discovered I did not have a metabolic disorder. Instead, I discovered I had a disorder called Eating Too Much and Not Exercising Enough.

It really is true. If you eat more than you burn, you will gain weight.

Bummer.

Wearing the BB has been really interesting. I love gadgets. But what I discovered was that there were certain workouts that I was doing that I thought burned tons of calories. Turns out, I was grossly underestimating what I burning during a workout.

You know how the elliptical tells you you're burning 700 calories if you slog along on there for 60 minutes? Not even close. Cut that in half and you're closer. Same goes for any of those machines. And those heart rate monitors that tell you you're burning 1,000 calories an hour during an aerobics workout? Probably not.

Anyway, once I figured out that I needed to ramp up my workouts, the tracking of my food combined with the exercise finally started paying off. It made the Friday weigh in anti-climactic. I pretty much knew ahead of time that I would/would not be losing weight and that took the drama out of it. I wasn't all deflated when I didn't lose because I knew EXACTLY why I didn't lose. During the weeks I was really good about hitting my goals (burning 2200 calories a day, eating 1700 a day--the BB helps you determine how much to eat and burn).

I have to tell you, I'm a big fan of the BodyBugg. I don't make any sort of commission for saying all of this. I wish I did. But truly it changed my life by letting me know exactly what my body was doing. Even if I didn't like the answers!

It did feel weird on my arm for the first few days. Now, I forget it's there. I do feel a little self-conscious wearing it with short sleeves, so I wear jackets a lot to cover it up in the summer.

So check it out and see what you think. Ask for it for Christmas. The last time I checked, the discount code on Chalene's blog still worked for a $15 discount. Use it!

Let me know if you have any BodyBugg questions.

Today's workout: Turbo Jam Cardio Party 2

FoodBreakfast: Brown rice cereal, almond milk, hemp seeds, maple syrup.

Snack: Banana

Lunch: Leftover taco soup, mexican cheese

Snack: Hot chocolate

Dinner: Pot roast, mashed potatoes, carrots, onions.

AndthenIwenttoseeHarryPotterwithmysonandweatepopcornwithbutterandsharedarootbeerandIcan'tbelieveitbecauseIhaven'teatenmoviepopcornforages---gahhhhh!

Total calories for the day: 1862 as close as I can guess with the popcorn extravaganza.

BodyBugg stats:

Calories burned = 2209. Hit my goal, thank you TurboJam!

Steps = 11,857

Activity = 1 hour, 46 minutes

2 comments:

  1. Hahaha- I love the run on popcorn sentence:) That's how I am feeling about what I eat most days lately. Thanks for the scoop. I am pretty sure I am ordering one. Couple questions-

    Is it user friendly? I'm not too tech saavy so is it easy to figure out?



    1. Do you wear it ALL THE TIME? I can see wearing it most of the time but if you go out at night or to a party or something do you still wear it?

    2) Do you think the digital display is something to get as well. Does it give you the same info you get from the online subscription? Do you need both or do you get the same info from both? It seems to me if you want to know *rightnow* what your stats are you should get the display, but if you can wait till you can get on the computer you get the same info- correct?

    My biggest concern is not the money- its will I actually wear it all the time?

    I do wear a heart rate monitor when I work out because I like to see the calories burned. Does this replace the heart rate monitor?



    Thanks so much for your responses and thank you so much for the post! I am reading the review you suggested and I am sure these are answered there as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a friend at work who (along with her hubby) is using the BB & raves about it. She's a big girl and has lost a LOT of weight - not sure of numbers, but it's obviously working for her.

    ReplyDelete