Tabs

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Can Someone Help Me Put on My Deoderant?

So this morning I once again barely made it out of bed in time to squeeze a workout in before the boys got up. I see a trend developing here.

I did a weighted workout, which I hadn't done in about 10 days.

Now I am suffering.

Nevermind that my shoulder is still a little bit sore from the muscle pull way back in October. It's the medial deltoid (heck, I don't even know if there's such a thing as a medial deltoid or if that's what is hurting, but I like that word. Medial deltoid. I'm going to say it over and over to amuse myself and sound smart.) The most ridiculous things cause me to restrain this medial thingy. I'm not kidding you--today I was WIPING THE KITCHEN COUNTER, moved my arm to wipe up some random sticky spot, and ow.

Anyway, after not lifting for 10 days, I estimate that by tomorrow morning I will have trouble lifting my arms and putting on my deoderant. Fortunately, it's cold out and my likelihood of smelling is slim.

Does anyone ever watch the show the Doctors? Sometimes when I'm wolfing down my lunch (I mean, eating my lunch in a fashion that is totally conducive to good health and weight loss), I watch a few minutes of it. In fact, today I set up the DVR to just record it every day. There's some good stuff on there and I encourage you to check it out.

What caught my attention today was something called the 17 Day Diet. There's info on the Doctor's website if you want to check it out. What I liked about what I saw was that this "diet" is focused on detoxing your body from what you have been eating, and moving to eating real food that gets your bod and hormones back in balance. I'm all about the hormones lately, and not just because I have PMS and am in need of serious psychological help and/or chocolate.

I don't want you to run out and buy the book or anything--it's really similar to what Jackie Warner and Jillian Michaels are saying in their books, which you can get at the library. I think they're all saying nearly the same thing, and it's all good.

But my point here is this: Remember that saying in the 70s, "Never say diet"? I'm cracking up because I think Garfield actually said that. Yes, I am now spewing nutrition advice from an animated cat, people! I can't go lower than this.

Back to "Never say diet." From the mouth of a cartoon cat or not, it's good advice. When I would first use the word "diet" around my boys, they would respond by saying, "You're on a diet?" And I had to explain, "No, when I say diet, I mean what I eat." There's a big difference between, "I'm on a diet," and "I eat a healthy diet."

Does that make sense? Any sense at all?

I used to diet. And it didn't work. Because I always saw it as a short-term way to get to a certain point. And then I'd go back to eating the way I did before.

Then I changed my diet. And I found a way to eat things that make my body run right and eat the things I like. They are now one and the same.

I'm going to take a page from Dr. Oz and the Doctors now and say, "Here are your takeaways today:"
-Don't go on a diet. Change your diet and make it something you can live with forever.
-Educate yourself. I like to watch the Doctors, Dr. Oz, read books like Jillian's and Jackie's to see what my options are. I've mixed and matched to see what will work for me.
-Cartoon cats may just know what they're talking about.
-Don't be surprised if you don't get any volunteers to help you put on your deoderant.

Today's Information
Workout: P90X Chest, Shoulders, Tris; a walk with my sister's dog; cleaning up my sister's dog's vomit--I'm totally counting that

Food
Breakfast: Chocolate Shakeology, original flavor almond milk

Snack: 1/2 banana. This wasn't enough and I was sorry. As a result, I spent $218 at the grocery store. Learn from my mistakes, my friends.

Lunch: Amy's Vegetable Korma. (You can always tell when I've been to WalMart when you see a string of Amy's entrees in my food list. WalMart = low priced Amy's entrees.)

Snack: Apple, 1/2 ounce cheese

Dinner: Homemade chicken enchiladas, gluten free pound cake with strawberry puree. Yes! I ate dessert! And I stayed within calories today and still had a treat. Hooray!

If I had to critique my day, what do you think I'd say? Serious lack of vegetables.

Total calories consumed: 1524--not too shabby

BodyBugg stats as of 10:48pm MST (good grief, I need to get to bed):
Calories burned: 2172 (I'll come close to my daily target, but the important thing is that I have achieved at least a 500 calorie deficit today.)
Steps: 8492
Activity: 1 hour, 25 minutes

Ta ta for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment