Tabs

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Going Through the Motions

Hey, how about me not posting on the very first day of the Wellness Challenge? I realize that I said one of my goals was to post 3x a week, but really, I figured I'd at least post on the first day!

It wasn't meant to be. And that happens. And that's the point of this post.

Life happens. And you need to work to accomodate life as best you can. Have I mentioned that Mondays are hell days, but they are particularly hellish in the summer? It's just because of deadlines, but with the boys home, Mondays are just tough. I stayed up really late on Sunday night trying to get my ducks in a row, but that made me super tired Monday morning. And I woke up to the added bonus of my period. TMI. Yes, indeed. But my period wipes me out in my old age. I think I'm ready for menopause. Not really. Or maybe. Not sure.

Anway, my point is when the alarm went off at 5:25am, I made no move to get up and walk. I finally rolled out of bed at about 6:30am and I did a really lame cardio workout for about 40 minutes and then did some stretching. I did the whole workout low impact. My feet never left the ground. I didn't burn a whole heck of a lot of calories--maybe 250 total. But I was OK with it.

Eamonn has said for years that when you don't feel like working out, just start and go through the motions. Usually when that happens, once I'm up, dressed in my workout gear and in the basement and started moving, endorphins start to kick in and away I go. I'm always glad when I make like Nike and Just Do It.

Now, with that said, yesterday the endorphins never kicked in. I just went through the motions, but I'm glad I at least did that. I didn't want to say I skipped my workout on Day One.

And today, I did hop out of bed right at 5:25am and went for a great walk.

So there.

Food on Monday was good and typical. Shakeology for breakfast, leftover salmon, rice, and carrots for lunch, fruit and crackers for a snack, a Cooking Light recipe for vegetable enchiladas for dinner that no one like but me. Came in around 1386 calories, which seems low. I also had two squares of dark chocolate. Just because.

Today's food:
Breakfast: Shakeology, almond milk, 1/2 banana, 1/2 cup cantaloupe.
Lunch: Salad w/ last of leftover salmon, feta, tomatoes, cukes, yellow pepper, olive oil, avocado...some tortilla chips.
Snack: two squares of dark chocolate (is this a trend?)
Dinner: Baked potato with sauteed mushrooms, onions

So I feel on track for the week even though I didn't at first. It all comes out in the wash. I'm also realizing that with all of my walking, when I transition back to some hardcore high impact aerobics in 4 - 5 weeks, it's going to be a sufferfest.

I'm telling myself that a little suffering is good for oneself. I'll let you know how that works out.

Tip of the Day: Even when you don't want to workout, Just Do It. Start and you may find yourself getting a great workout. Or maybe you'll just go through the motions that day, but either way, you'll be glad you did! Trust me on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment