Tabs

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Floundering Around

I'm not really sure what to do with myself these days. As I mentioned in a past post, I'm below the goal I thought I needed to get to. I got there, went a little below, and lo and behold, I've wondered, "Should I keep going?"

Here's the thing: I feel good, I look pretty good (that's pretty much in my opinion!), I like the size of clothes I'm wearing (I've bought some new ones much to the strain of our credit card bill), and I feel like I'm in a good place.

However, as any woman does, I still notice all of those annoying jiggly bits, as they like to say in England. Pre-kids, at this weight, there would have been no fat on my belly. And yet, some remains. Can it be got rid of without completely eliminating my boobs? I'm curious.

And my thighs. Sigh. I'm a pear shape. I will always be a pear shape. I'm a smaller pear, and that makes me happy, but I do wonder if anything short of liposuction would actually make my thighs go away?

My bottom--well, it's smaller, I can tell because I took measurements when I started TurboFire, but it remains in its jiggly glory.

The thing is, I've worked really hard this winter. Darn hard. How long do I want to keep working like that?

I remember Oprah once saying on her show that there was no magic bullet for weight loss becuase if there had been, it would have been, she would have given it to everyone on her Favorite Things show ages ago!

Well, there is a "magic bullet" per se, but maybe not the one we all want. It's freaking hard work! That magic bullet is what we've been told all along: eat less, exercise more.

So how long do I want to eat less and exercise more? That's kind of where I'm at right now. Lose a little more? Maintain and continue to firm up? Trying to decide.

I know that I will always be someone who needs to track calories. I think that's just a fact of life for me. I do feel like over the course of the last year I've mastered portion control and listening to my body, especially when I'm in a situation where I can't weigh and measure my food. That has been a long time in the making. I'm OK with keeping an eye on that.

I need to avoid certain foods, probably for the longterm. Grains seem to be one of those. And, sadly, beans, which I love. Both of those foods apparently contain something that isn't so great for my digestive system, and my family who are in close proximity as a result.

I also know that I'll continue to need to get my workouts in first thing in the morning. That may be a forever thing. Maybe one day I won't have to get up at 5:30am though. One can dream.

So I'm just trying to figure it all out right now. It bugs me that I don't have a concrete goal in place because for years I've had a goal and I feel like I need one to be moving forward.

Run a 5k? Do a triathlon? Get some sort of nutrition or fitness certification? These are all things I've mulled, but come to no conclusion on. Until then I'm just keeping up with TurboFire, adding in some weight training, and eating clean.

I'll keep you updated.

2 comments:

  1. I hate the jiggle! I've never been one for plastic surgery, but somedays I just wish I could go to a doctor and say, just vacuum all this @#$% off my thighs -- and add it to my boobs. I'm pretty sure this will never happen. There's a woman interviewed in "Women, Food & God" and she talks about how she spent half of her savings to have her thighs done and doesn't feel any happier and even her husband and sister can't tell the difference. Then I'll see these women with perfect toned bodies, but old faces and it looks so bizarre!

    OK, I think I'm finished ranting. Great job on meeting your goal! How 'bout some before and after pics, a la P90X infomercials? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't talk a lot about weight training - is it something that you do on a regular basis? That might be a good thing for a goal, and get rid of some of the jiggle at the same time? Just a thought...

    BTW, I EXCEEDED my target calorie burn on Saturday WITH NO EXERCISE - working in the yard was enough, although weeding wasn't as effective as cutting grass. Washing the car didn't do much for me on Sunday. Interesting to see the results of various activities. Still have to work on portion control, and eating more veggies - which I hope will be easier now that the weather is getting warmer (who wants to eat hot food when it's 80 degrees?).

    ReplyDelete