Tabs

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Trigger Happy

On Monday I started a 3-day Shakeology Cleanse. It's not hard. Except when you're on Day Three and there are a dozen Krispy Kreme donuts sitting on the counter. I wrapped the box in multiple layers of Saran Wrap. I did this to keep them fresh and to keep the smell of them from making me faint.

Why are there a dozen Krispy Kreme donuts in my house? Every once in awhile when I go to Denver for meetings, like yesterday, I pick them up as a treat for Eamonn and the boys. We don't have a donut shop in the valley and if we want donuts, we have to eat nasty grocery store donuts. Needless to say, they don't even really appeal to the boys--that's saying something--so Krispy Kreme donuts are a special treat a few times a year.

Donuts are one of my trigger foods--all that sugar and fat wrapped up in a delicious little package of dough. Mmmmmm. I'm feeling woozy. My favorite donut is the sour cream cake. When I buy the boys' dozen, I usually buy just one of my favorites for me and eat in the car on the way home. Heaven on I-70.

Other trigger foods for me are tortilla chips, cheese and cookie dough. I try to only bake cookies on a cheat day or else I'm in trouble. And then of course, there's popcorn. Again, I save it for a cheat day. Surprisingly, chocolate is usually not a trigger food for me. I have noticed that if I eat milk chocolate, it seems to make me want more, but if I eat a really good quality dark chocolate, I can eat a square or two and call it good.

I'm curious. What are your trigger foods? How do you "manage" them?

Anyway, so far so good. I'm having great results with the cleanse--feeling good, lighter (mentally if not physically), and more disciplined, which is always my goal for a cleanse. I just needed to get my head back in the game.

And as a side note, I stopped into Kohl's in Denver yesterday with the intent to only buy underwear (in addition to not having a donut shop, the valley doesn't have any place to buy underwear except WalMart and I struck out there). I didn't get home until 10pm last night because I was reminded that trying on clothes and having them fit in a smaller size is very, very fun. However, I won't be wearing any of the new shorts I bought as it is snowing today. Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment