Tabs

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Nachos That Won't Blow Your Daily Calorie Count

I love tortilla chips. I think we've established that over time. They are a trigger food for me so I usually hide them away and save them for a cheat day.

So last week when I was planning meals, I had this madcap idea that I wanted to do a fun nacho dinner on the last day of school. But could I make a nacho dinner that wouldn't blow my whole day? It remained to be seen.

In the end, we didn't eat the nachos last night. Declan was invited to a friend's for a sleepover--they've had a sleepover on the last day of school for the last 3 years, and Eamonn had a bike race, so it was just me and Finn. I didn't feel like cooking and then galloping out the door to the bike race, so I...took Finn to Wendy's, oh yes I did, and saved the nachos for tonight.

The nachos were an overwhelming score for all parties involved.

-15 Garden of Eatin tortilla chips = 140 calories
-1.5 oz. cooked ground turkey (I browned the meat, added the beans and sprinkled in some organic taco seasoning) = 100 calories
-3 tbls. pinto beans = 39 calories
-jalepeno slices = 3 calories
-10 cherry tomatoes = 29 calories
-1 oz. shredded cheese = 110 calories
-1 tbls. sour cream = 26 calories

Total calories = 445 (or thereabouts after the Bodybugg rounds the numbers)

These were yummy and I'm really full--too full, but I feel OK with my calories overall today (1366).

My workouts this week have been good. This last month of TurboFire is a HIIT month so I actually laid in bed this morning, sort of hiding and afraid to get up and do HIIT 30. It's hard, people. 30 minutes of fire drills--plyometrics over and over.

I did finally get up and slog my way through HIIT 30. I think these HIIT workouts are actually made more tolerable by the fact that I got new shoes. I'll talk about them in another post because I heart them very much.

Had a cheat day yesterday. The day started just fine, but when we went to Declan's school for his continuation ceremony, they served cake. I didn't actually eat cake. What I did was much worse. When the party was breaking up, I looked over and the cake was gone. Which was good. What was still there was a ring of piped icing. Another mom was standing there. She looked at me. I looked at her. We each picked up a fork and scraped off the icing and ate it, each confessing that it was our favorite part. After school, some friends and I all took our kids to the diner for ice cream. I had a junior malt.

So the icing started my downward spiral and the malt continued the disaster. I have trouble recovering from stuff like that.

I'd do it again though...

No comments:

Post a Comment