Tabs

Friday, August 3, 2012

I Have Been Running. Don't Fall Down in Shock.

I know. I KNOW. I swore I'd never run. And really, I think that what I've been doing can only loosely be called running. I'm not sure I'd even call it jogging. I'm probably doing some sort of fast shuffle like the old people at the mall. But I have managed to finish the second week of a Couch to 5K program (the one I'm using is 5K101).

It's really nothing short of a miracle.

A bit of advice: if you pig out on SmashBurger and frozen yogurt, the next day's run might be a bit compromised. Take my word for it. Don't try this at home. Ick.

News update: I've decided that a year from tomorrow, I'm going to participate in a local triathlon. Eeeek. There. I said it. It's out there.

So I figured if I want to do a triathlon, I'd better figure out how to run, and I'd better do it sooner rather than later. I also figure there's going to be a lot of pain involved.

I randomly chose a free podcast program off iTunes to help me run. When I've tried running before, I've made the clssic mistakes: running too fast at the beginning. The podcast helps. It eases you into it gradually with alternating walks and runs. I did a few test runs just listening to the free podcast, and it was OK, but the music is so boring. For $2.99 I could download a program you could set to your own playlist. Truly, it's the best $2.99 I even spent. My first two weeks of "running" have actually gone pretty well. Other than the whole post-Smashburger debacle.

I'm going to add some swimming into my workouts starting next week. Shape magazine (you know how I love it), printed a triathlon training schedule, and next week I'll start following that. In addition, I've been doing some weight training with ChaLEAN Extreme.

I am struggling with my eating somewhat. When I lift weights, it makes me crazy hungry, so I'm trying to balance sensible portions with what my body needs. Weighted workouts always challenge my eating.

Next week will be Week 3 of Couch to 5K. I cringe to think I'll bump up to more running, but I guess it has to happen!

No comments:

Post a Comment